A practical, ordinary person's guide to choosing, planting, and caring for the world's most popular plants, Shrubs & Hedges delivers all the know-how you'll need to grow beautiful, healthy shrubs.
Whether they're flowering shrubs
or evergreen hedges
, these long-lived plants fill a lot of space in our landscapes; yet they don't capture as much attention as perennials, annuals, and even trees. The front doors and picture windows of millions of houses world-wide are adorned by shrubs. Despite their ubiquity, selecting and maintaining shrubs
remains a mystery to many. Shrubs are all-too-often inappropriately pruned into "meatball" shapes, or alternatively, left to become an overgrown tangle of branches. But as you'll discover in the pages of Shrubs & Hedges,
when cared for properly, these workhorse plants have much to offer. They mask foundations
, delineate property lines
, increase privacy
, stabilize soils
, provide food for wildlife,
and add beauty and interest
to the landscape. It’s time for shrubs to take center stage.Shrubs & Hedges
eliminates the ambiguities of shrub selection and care by offering:
- Advice on how to pick the best shrubs for your growing conditions
- Plant profiles of both dependable classic shrubs and new rising stars
- Step-by-step propagation instructions for making more shrubs—for free!
- Shrub identification tips
- A lesson on the value of hedges and hedgerows
- The best shrubs for pollinators and other wildlife
- Pruning illustrations and tips to maximize shrub performance and health
- Tips for designing with shrubs
Drawing on her decades of experience in the plant-care and landscape industries
, author and horticulture educator Eva Monheim proves you don’t have to be a “gardener” to see the value in this extensive group of plants.