This accessibly written and authoritative guide updates the beloved and much-used 1970s classic, Seacoast Plants of the Carolinas. In this completely reimagined book, Paul E. Hosier provides a rich, new reference guide to plant life in the coastal zone of the Carolinas for nature lovers, gardeners, landscapers, students, and community leaders.
* Detailed profiles of more than 200 plants, with color photographs and information about identification, value to wildlife, relationship to natural communities, propagation, and landscape use.
* Background on coastal plant communities, including the effects of invasive species and the benefits of using native plants in landscaping.
* A section on the effects of climate change on the coast and its plants.
* A list of natural areas and preserves open to visitors interested in observing native plants in the coastal Carolinas.
* A glossary that includes plant names and scientific terms.
With a special emphasis on the benefits of conserving and landscaping with native plants, this guide belongs on the shelf of every resident and visitor to the coasts of the Carolinas.